waqar saleem

Bridge Girder Collapse during launching

3 posts in this topic

Salam

Girders of a bridge during launching collapsed. it is reported it happened due to heavy winds during launching of the girders,links for further details are attached.

http://tribune.com.pk/story/1109218/rs330m-jhelum-bridge-collapses-ahead-inauguration/

1109218-bridgecollapsefacebook-146408889

http://www.baaghi.tv/330-million-jhelum-bridge-collapsed-due-to-substandard-material-and-negligence-of-highways-department/

Regards

Clearly not a design failure as the other spans are standing.

Lets see what comes out of the investigation report. I hope they are able to find the root cause.

Thanks.

Salam

What i got is that the girders toppled due to wind or any other mistake during launching and their inertial angle changed. Definitely, girders were not designed this way so collapsed in flexure at center region as both ends of girders are still on the supports.

Regards

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By waqar saleem
      Dear fellows!
      I have observed that some senior engineers have not been using stiffness modifiers in their designs. What is the concept behind  i am not clear . As we design RC for strength, section is cracked and to cater for this cracked section, property modifiers are used as per
       ACI 318-11  10.10.4 (stiffness requirement)

ACI 318-11  8.7 (stiffness requirement)

UBC97 1630.1.2 (modelling requirement)
       so why whole section is considered in design. is there any other logic which i couldn't understand.

Regards
    • By rummaan17
      Dear All, 
      I have designed the bridge between two building. Fixed at one end and roller at the other. The bridge at the roller end, rests on a concrete ledge. I have provided the expansion joint based on the formulation of ASCE for building separation. I have certain queries on it :
      1- Is building separation formulation is appropriate to provide expansion/moment joint in my case?
      2- I am trying to allow the movement through slotted holes in base plate. If my bridge required expansion is 300mm through formulation indicated in Point-1 above, should the slotted hole be twice of it i.e.  2x300mm = 600mm  

I am still unsure as to what size the slotted hole should be ? and what governs the expansion joint of bridge over the ledge end. 
      I am relatively new to bridges. any help would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    • By EngrUzair
      Assalam-o-alaikum,
      Dear Colleagues!
      The Øresund bridge is an engineering marvel that connects the Danish capital of Copenhagen to the Swedish city of Malmö.
      A cable-stayed bridge runs nearly 8 km (5 miles) to an artificial island where it transitions into a tunnel that runs another 4 km (2.5 miles). The award-winning double-track railway and motorway opened on July 1, 2000.
      For more details refer to the following link:
      http://twistedsifter.com/2015/09/oresund-bridge-turns-into-tunnel-and-connects-denmark-and-sweden/