Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
groszni awesome

Haunched Steel Member

5 posts in this topic

Hello sepakistan 
i am designing a rafter for structural roof frame, why do we have to haunch the beam? is it the same as the tappered member? how do i calculate the nominal strength of the haunch section? and the eaves and apex connection, does anybody have a design guide with american code(AISC), i found one but it was a eurocode
thanks so much
regards

Certain softwares provide the ability to calculation custom section properties. If you are using RISA3D, you can use RISA Section. If using CSI products, Section Designer is a good option. Haunched beams provide > moment resistance at the ends. 

Thanks.

4 hours ago, UmarMakhzumi said:

Certain softwares provide the ability to calculation custom section properties. If you are using RISA3D, you can use RISA Section. If using CSI products, Section Designer is a good option. Haunched beams provide > moment resistance at the ends. 

Thanks.

is there any provision made by AISC? like stability and stuff like how deep am i going to haunch it? because i cant find it somewhere like this one made by eurocode

haunched calculation.pdf

You should haunch it to the degree such that the minimum requirements of strength and stability are met.

Thanks.