• Welcome to SEFP!

Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great discussions about Structural Engineering. Please register to become a part of our thriving group or login if you are already registered.

• ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Our picks

• AoA all,

Is it mandatory to do column concreting upto the soffit of the beam in a single pour ?

What code says about the construction/cold joint location in column ?

Majority of the contractors are pouring the column concrete upto the soffit of the beam (full height of the column), some contractors leave the column height about 9" to 12" below the beam level and then fill this 9" to 12" column height with the beams & slab concreting. On one site column concreting was stopped at the mid height and the remaining half was filled on the next day.

Thanks

• 4 replies
    • AOA 

i am facing problems in shear wall design .what are the pier and spandral ?what will be the difference when we assign pier or spandral? without assigning these the shear wall design is incomplete .

i am taking about etabsv16

someone have document about shear wall design plz provide it 

thank you

• 9 replies
    • Salam Members,

Congratulations to Engineers, PEC has become full signatory of Washington Accord, what are the benefits to Pakistani engineers for this agreement. 

Regards   

• 3 replies
    • Please clarify the following confusions one by one:-

1. If we run P-delta analysis in ETABS, then should we ignore stiffness property modifiers for beams and columns? I have heard that if we perform P-delta analysis and apply stiffness modifiers at the same time then the moment magnification process is doubled...?

2. ETABS considers selenderness of a column by applying moment magnification factors. If we run P-delta analysis also, does it mean that the selenderness of column is being over-estimated? I mean once the moments are magnified in P-delta analysis process and again through moment magnification process?

Please help me understand the software myth and clarify above confusions.
      • 1 reply
    • Assalam o alaikum.
      According to ACI 12.5.2,
      development length for fc' = 3000, fy=60000, for normal weight concrete and epoxy less reinforcement, The required development length comes out to be
      for #3 = 8.2 inch
      for #4 = 10.95 inch
      for #6 = 16.42 inch
      for #8 = 21.9 inch

And if in my case, ACI 12.5.3 is not fulfilled, it means now i have to provide ldh as mentioned above. ldh is STRAIGHT EMBEDMENT LENGTH + RADIUS OF BEND + ONE BAR DIAMETER as shown in figure attached. Now my question is, if in my case, main reinforcement of beam is of #6 and #4, minimum column size required will be 18 inch and 12 inch respectively. Lets say by any means, i can not select #4, #3 bars and size of column where bars are to be terminated is 12 inch, how to fullfil this development length???
      • 11 replies
    • Dear all,

I am trying to design shearwalls through ETABS with temperature load applied over shell. At various location, spandral section fails in Shear due to temperature and piers (sometime in shear, mostly in flexure).  (See Attached Image)

Certainly all the problem in Shearwalls are due to temperature. I don't want to increase cross section of spandral or pier at some location just due to temperature load case as it will appears non-uniform with rest of the wall. 

I have seen stiffness modifier affect distribution of forces and also rigid/semi rigid daiphragm assumption. 

Can anybody guide how to properly design the shear wall with temperature load applied in ETABS or share any similar experience. Thanks in Advance.    
      • 15 replies
    • ENGINEERS;
      I WILL LOOSE MY BRAIN FROM ETABS. 
      I DECIDED TO MAKE MANUAL MESHING FROM AREA ELEMENTS BESIDE EACH OTHER AND EVERY HING WAS FINE .
      BUT AFTER DEVISION SAY 7*7 ELEMNTS FOR EVERY BIG ELEMENT AND MAKING ETABS CHECH..................THEN 500 ERROR MESSAGE THAT ALL ELEMNTS ARE CLOSE TO EACH OTHER.  WHAT ARE GOING...... SOMEONE TELL ME PLEASE...... I WILL LOST MY WORK
      • 6 replies
    • Assalam o alaikum.
      I have just designed a frame structure with SMRF. The out put of shear seams weird to me. Column reports design shear Av/s as 0.045. (Images are attached). but when i right click the member, it must show me the most critical case HIGHLIGHTED AUTOMATICALLY. But it highlights load combo 38 (auto-generated combos have been used) which reports Av/s as 0.038. And 0.045 value is at combo 32. Is their any logic behind it?? More over how to interpret this Av/s?? means 0.045 in kip-in units means what? How can i convert this into spacing?? 
      • 9 replies
    • Hello everyone, I hope all of you will be fine. In etabs when we apply Response Spectrum loading on a multistoried building with 2 basement floors. At what floor level this loading will be applied as in equivalent static seismic analysis, we can apply EQX & EQY on any floor we like as this option is available in etabs but the problem is with response spectrum and time history analysis. please if someone knows and have the experince, share it i shall be very thankful.  
      • 5 replies
    • Salaikom dear professionals,
      First of all I would like to express my sincere thanks to the initiators of this forum for establishing such an exceptional atmosphere for knowledge/experience sharing, I it is really useful, In fact since I have found the forum I am mostly online and busy reading the posts. I would also like to thank the members for their professional comments and advice.
      As my first post in this forum I would like to ask the following queries:
      1-After running the analysis and design when I check the DESIGN DATA through Display >> Show Tables >> DESIGN DATA >> Concrete Frame Output, there is no specific message in Column Summary Data and Beam Summary Data, but in Joint summary data it is showing that “Joint B/C check not done”. Does anyone has any idea? I am sharing the ETABS model for your information and easy reference.
      ETABS MODEL.zip
      2- ETABS provides greater area of steel in the upper column than the column at BASE, perhaps due to higher moment. Could someone explain why this is so? In practice should we maintain maximum steel in both stories? Or we shall follow what the software suggests?
      3- Beside considering the minimum thickness required for deflection control of Beam as per Table 9.a Chapter 9 ACI-318 , using concrete crack behavior in ETABS and checking story drift, Do we have to check the deflection of beams for the serviceability propose elsewhere in ETBAS? If yes, Could anyone explain it?
      Regards, and look forward to any explanation
      • 13 replies
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By UmarMakhzumi
      Dear All,
      The forum has been recently upgraded with tons of new features. Please take a minute and explore the new items. Your feedback is much appreciated. You can check out the following thread that summarizes biggest changes to forum. 
      Thanks.

• By UmarMakhzumi
      Dear All,
      I have just finished modifying a bunch of stuff related to member roles and I am very excited to announce it.
      There are some new member roles that have been created:
      1) SEFP Associate
      As you know that I have been requesting help with a number of stuff on SEFP and there are very generous people who have volunteered. To recognize their effort, I have created this role. An example is @Saad Pervez, who is doing an excellent job running our Social Media pages. From now onwards, you will find him assigned to SEFP Associates. Thanks Saad for your help.
      2) SEFP Contributor
      There are a few members who have been with us through thick and thin. Because, they have regularly answered questions and contributed to forum by not only providing information but their engineering judgement, this role has been created in recognition of their efforts.  @Ayesha has been assigned to this and we look forward to add more members to their club.
      3) SEFP VIP
      @EngrUzair deserves this without any question. He is the most senior member of the forum providing invaluable support. Not only this but he has also been a teacher at our beloved Alma Mater. I have created this category in recognition to his efforts.  We "might" be adding very few people to this role in upcoming years.
      4) Moderators and Super Moderators
      Our current staff consists of @waqar saleem, @Rana and @BAZ. @Rana and @BAZ have global moderation over the forum and @waqar saleem is currently moderating all the technical sections. They all are doing a great job and I am very thankful them. Because of overall moderation assignment, I have split moderators in Super Moderator and Moderators. Supermods might also get portion of Admin rights over coming years. I have a plan for that but nothing set in stone.
      Like always, please provide your feedback and let me know what else should be done/ undone.
      Thanks.
    • By UmarMakhzumi
      All,
      Starting today, I would be experimenting with some advertisement options on the forum. That would include making ads visible to guests (non-registered members) only. It would also help me estimate the amount this site can pay for itself. Right now, the estimated projections are very low in-terms of revenue (5-10% max of yearly budget). Members would always see a clean forum (no ads).  Guests, however would be subjected to Ads.
      Any suggestions or ideas are welcome.
      Thanks.

• By UmarMakhzumi
      Hello Everyone,
      Here is a list of new features in the upcoming update:
      Updates to Editor ( @EngrUzair might like this one )
      Fluid Forum View ( @Rana check this out)
      Reactions
      Recommended Replies (Moderator Related Stuff)
      Content Messages (Moderator Related Stuff)
      Leaderboard Enhancement
      Richer Embeds
      Forcing Members to Complete Profile
      Improvements to Social Sign In
      Clubs  (Clubs will allow forum members to create their own groups in the forum and discuss things other than structural engineering)
      I am very excited about all these improvements. Stay tuned for more. This update is expected to roll out in summer.
      Thanks.
    • By UmarMakhzumi
      All,
      You can now get a free email @sepakistan.com. All you need to have is more than 25 posts (Title of Lieutenant).
      The email is a forwarding email, meaning that you get to keep your original email and all emails sent at your email@sepakistan.com will show up in your original email inbox. 
      Let me know if anyone is interested.
      Thanks.
    • By UmarMakhzumi
      Hello Everyone,
      If you ever wanted to contribute towards SEFP, here is your chance. We at SEFP need help with the following:
      1) 2 volunteers to help us run our Facebook page. If you don't mind taking 10 minutes out each day to share a few articles from this website to the Facebook page, then this position is for you.
      2) SEFP Mentoring Circle Coordinator is required. We are planning to start Mentoring Circle and would need someone to be the co-ordinator of the program. 
      If you are interested, please let me or any other moderators know.
      Thanks.
    • By Rana
      I think its time now to categorize questions based on the difficulty level.
      For example;
      A toddler asking very basic question like what is mass source or time period, should be classified under lets say Easy or 0 or Beginner or Simple etc category. And as such specific moderators should be assigned to take care of that forum.
      Then we can make other sections like moderate or difficult. Where one really need to relearn/review the question and think about the answer carefully.
      I think all the internet is full of the same basic questions like time period, base shear etc. Isnt it the time to take SEFP a step ahead and not just another forum full of the same basic questions? How can we re-categorize the SEFP sections to give it a new feel, not just like concrete, steel, software issues etc. What do you think?
    • By waqar saleem
      Dear Friends
      i would like to suggest that if we make city based SEFP chapters for more frequent interactive meetings. What are your suggestions? @admin. subject to admin approval.

Regards

• By UmarMakhzumi
      Hello Everyone,
      I would like to draw your attention to questions being asked in message boxes instead of being posted on forum. The reason I am raising this is that recently I have seen a spike of inbox messages addressed to me asking for solutions rather than the question being posted on the forum. I assume others are getting similar messages. FYI, I don't have access to inboxes and all your conversations are 100% private. I would like to request everyone to please ask questions on the forum and discuss it on the forum instead of inboxes. The reason being that the discussion can be beneficial for the rest of the community and also other members can then critique or appreciate an opinion.
      Let me know should you have any questions.
      Thanks.
    • By UmarMakhzumi
      Hello all,
      I had to take the website down for some regular maintenance but I am glad that we are back up in due time. Sorry for any inconvenience. I have also upgraded the forum to the latest version. 
      Thanks.
  • Recent Discussions

• Latest Forum and Club Posts

• There are two three columns in a grid ,two are placed in the same line another is to the downward side of the two columns,The two collinear columns are at 5 m apart and the next column is at 1.5 m apart tentatively.What the engineer has done is,tie the two collinear columns with strap beam,because the edge is on the property line and moreover at a large distance apart and the interior column is combined with the downward column (the downward column is at property line too).Is it possible to use combined footing and strap footing at the same time?My concern is ,the engineer has not separated out two designs for the combined behavior of the footing ,he has designed it as separate,one is  strap footing ,the other is combined. Is it because ,the pressure intensity  disperses over large area ,so he has taken it as single behavior?Wont there be site difficulty during casting?And is the design ok??I have attached the file herewith.
    • See this topic:    It depends. I have seen some embassies get blast wall designed considering the terror threat they face. Search the forum.
    • Actually my team is insisting to work on this topic but my interest is in hydraulics...is there future of hydraulics in next 5 yes?
    • why not? any good reason why it can't be used?
    • Is it possible to use AISC360 in  building design in Pakistan? and AISC360 accredited in Pakistan?
    • Blast "proof", nothing is proof, i guess. Second, doing blast analysis in bachelors is in my opinion too much work/understanding. Question: What you want to pursue in future (atleast next 5 yrs)? hard core structural engineering design? if yes, then do something related to a bigger scope giving you an overall understanding instead of a specialized topic. if no, you could do anything then. Just my opinion.
    • Thanks for sharing, will study more about this.   The usual practice is to assume hinge for isolated foundations unless they are massive, and fixed for raft in analysis.
    • AOA I want to work on Blast proof concrete as my final year project.. Is this suitable for final year project?? plz guide me n give me new ideas regarding final year project  
    • I am also facing the same thing..plz guide me for final year project related to structures and hydraulics  
    • There is also another point in this discussion. The assumption of a fixed based for isolated foundations is not valid because these foundations are susceptible to rotation. That would mean no moment (there would be some as foundation has rotational stiffness) at column foundation interface and more moment at beam column interface  - plastic hinging in beams column joint.  Although the original discussion is about developing plastic hinge at foundation column interface but I think the fact that isolated foundations rotate makes these two conditions  mutually exclusive (some degree). If the foundation rotates then it is a pinned end and the only forces there would be shear and axial.  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines.