• Welcome to SEFP!

Welcome!

Welcome to our community forums, full of great discussions about Structural Engineering. Please register to become a part of our thriving group or login if you are already registered.

Sign in to follow this  
Waqas Haider

Combined Beam Footing Modeling In Safe

Umar bhai, I want to model beam footing in SAFE. How to introduce beam along with footing pad?? I form a slab and draw a beam there. then i match bottom of beam with bottob of pad by adjusting insertion points. Is it correct modelling?

For the first picture(strap type), I would model the foundation and beam in ETABS, get the reactions at foundation and export them to Safe. Beam gets designed in ETABS and foundation goes to Safe with loads representing effect of beam presence. Second and third pictures are easy, you can take average thickness and use them. I haven't used Safe in over 5 years now so. I am not sure if there has been a new feature to accommodate such fdns but I don't see any problem there. Use simple slabs with conservative thicknesses.

First picture is for the strap beam, you can design it manually (see Nilson book for it) or model it in SAFE. just draw as Umar said, a slab area with equal width to that of strap beam. Dont apply soil supports to strap beam. If you need an excel sheet based on imperial units tell me, I prepared it some time ago.

Second picture shows isolated column thickening with basement slab. You can model this as told in first step. The only difference is you will apply soil supports to basement slab too. Just draw isolated column footing with a thickness, and then draw basement slab with its thickness.

Third picture shows strip foundation for columns, same modelling procedure will be adopted. Draw strip foundations and apply supports.

In first picture, my concern is for 2nd one labelled as SLAB AND BEAM TYPE FOOTING. Same is shown in in other two pictures. Slab and beam type or combined beam footings. I am attaching 3dview to have idea what exactly footing i m saying. Regarding Manual calculations, i have no problem for it. I have prepared my own excel sheets. But i m amazed if I have assumed correct behavior of footing components or not.The behavior I assume, goes like this

1) 1st of all, find out plastic centroid of all loads.

2) Then either try to position centroid of footing at plastic centroid or cater this extra moment too produced due to this eccentricity.

3) Then calculate bearing pressure distribution under footing. It may be uniform, it may be trapezoidal.

4) Now Slab will act as Cantilever at both ends of slab (in same manner as a single footing bend in both directions.)  But in this case, slab will bend just in direction perpendicular to beam provided, because beam will act as continuous support for slab in direction parallel to beam (Just similar to wall footing). So footing is designed just for this bending. in other direction, parallel to beam, just provided minimum steel.

5) Now all pressure under footing will ultimately transfer to beam provided, and this load will act as line load at beam. Now beam is designed for this load assuming points, where columns are present, as supported. In short this whole footing and beam is designed as INVERTED both side cantilever slab resting at beam which is further supported by columns and the load acting on slab is area load equal to pressure of soil under footing. 

But This all is manual procedure. Kindly confirm it if I assume any thing wrong. More over, i want to check my same model in SAFE for verification. Also provide me with your sheet Waseem bhai so that I may take help of it. 

post-1702-0-19298500-1421653469_thumb.pn

aha you are taling about the stepped footing. okay just draw left part as one slab in SAFE and draw right part too. Then in the center, draw this slab with more thickness. Thats it. No need to adjust by cardinal points. 

The reinforcement in center part is not like slab reinforcement. The reinforcement provided is similar to beam reinforcement. I am attaching reinforcement detail of this type of footing. 

post-1702-0-49835300-1421663932_thumb.pn

oho bhai reinforcement type has nothing to do with the type of FEM element you select. You can provide the reinforcement in center part as you have shown in image. But for analysis I would recommend you to model it as slab. Then provide reinforcement details as done in beams but take results from this slab element in SAFE

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Our picks

• I am suppose to design a pile foundation for a machine weighing approximately 50 tons and with an operational loading of 100 tons. 
      I ll appreciate your help in terms of guidance & provision of notes...  

Thank you..
      • 36 replies
    • Material behavior can be idealized as consisting of an 'elastic' domain and a 'plastic' domain. For almost 200 years, structural design has been
      based on an elastic theory which assumes that structures display a linear response throughout their loading history, ignoring the post-yielding
      stage of behavior. Current design practice for reinforced concrete structures is a curious blend of elastic analysis to compute forces and moments, plasticity theory to proportion cross-sections for the moment and axial, load, and empirical mumbo-jumbo to proportion members for shear.

From the book "Design of Concrete Structures with Stress Fields" by A. Muttoni,  J. Schwartz and  B.Thurliman.

• 0 replies
    • Dear Fellow Researchers, Academicians, and research students,

NED University of Engineering & Technology in collaboration with Institution of Engineers Pakistan (IEP) is organizing 9th International Civil Engineering Conference (ICEC 2017) on December 22-23, 2017 at Karachi, Pakistan.

The congress details are available at its website www.neduet.edu.pk/icec

Also attached is congress flyer for information and dissemination among your peers.

Abstracts submission deadline has been extended till October 31, 2017.

Please click on the link to see the full description.
      • 0 replies
    • AoA all,

Is it mandatory to do column concreting upto the soffit of the beam in a single pour ?

What code says about the construction/cold joint location in column ?

Majority of the contractors are pouring the column concrete upto the soffit of the beam (full height of the column), some contractors leave the column height about 9" to 12" below the beam level and then fill this 9" to 12" column height with the beams & slab concreting. On one site column concreting was stopped at the mid height and the remaining half was filled on the next day.

Thanks

• 5 replies
    • AOA 

i am facing problems in shear wall design .what are the pier and spandral ?what will be the difference when we assign pier or spandral? without assigning these the shear wall design is incomplete .

i am taking about etabsv16

someone have document about shear wall design plz provide it 

thank you

• 9 replies
    • Salam Members,

Congratulations to Engineers, PEC has become full signatory of Washington Accord, what are the benefits to Pakistani engineers for this agreement. 

Regards   

• 3 replies
    • Please clarify the following confusions one by one:-

1. If we run P-delta analysis in ETABS, then should we ignore stiffness property modifiers for beams and columns? I have heard that if we perform P-delta analysis and apply stiffness modifiers at the same time then the moment magnification process is doubled...?

2. ETABS considers selenderness of a column by applying moment magnification factors. If we run P-delta analysis also, does it mean that the selenderness of column is being over-estimated? I mean once the moments are magnified in P-delta analysis process and again through moment magnification process?

Please help me understand the software myth and clarify above confusions.
      • 1 reply
    • Assalam o alaikum.
      According to ACI 12.5.2,
      development length for fc' = 3000, fy=60000, for normal weight concrete and epoxy less reinforcement, The required development length comes out to be
      for #3 = 8.2 inch
      for #4 = 10.95 inch
      for #6 = 16.42 inch
      for #8 = 21.9 inch

And if in my case, ACI 12.5.3 is not fulfilled, it means now i have to provide ldh as mentioned above. ldh is STRAIGHT EMBEDMENT LENGTH + RADIUS OF BEND + ONE BAR DIAMETER as shown in figure attached. Now my question is, if in my case, main reinforcement of beam is of #6 and #4, minimum column size required will be 18 inch and 12 inch respectively. Lets say by any means, i can not select #4, #3 bars and size of column where bars are to be terminated is 12 inch, how to fullfil this development length???
      • 11 replies
    • Dear all,

I am trying to design shearwalls through ETABS with temperature load applied over shell. At various location, spandral section fails in Shear due to temperature and piers (sometime in shear, mostly in flexure).  (See Attached Image)

Certainly all the problem in Shearwalls are due to temperature. I don't want to increase cross section of spandral or pier at some location just due to temperature load case as it will appears non-uniform with rest of the wall. 

I have seen stiffness modifier affect distribution of forces and also rigid/semi rigid daiphragm assumption. 

Can anybody guide how to properly design the shear wall with temperature load applied in ETABS or share any similar experience. Thanks in Advance.    
      • 15 replies
    • ENGINEERS;
      I WILL LOOSE MY BRAIN FROM ETABS. 
      I DECIDED TO MAKE MANUAL MESHING FROM AREA ELEMENTS BESIDE EACH OTHER AND EVERY HING WAS FINE .
      BUT AFTER DEVISION SAY 7*7 ELEMNTS FOR EVERY BIG ELEMENT AND MAKING ETABS CHECH..................THEN 500 ERROR MESSAGE THAT ALL ELEMNTS ARE CLOSE TO EACH OTHER.  WHAT ARE GOING...... SOMEONE TELL ME PLEASE...... I WILL LOST MY WORK
      • 6 replies