Engr Waqas

ETABS beam design formulas from verification manual

2 posts in this topic

Assalam o alaikum,

I was reading ETABS concrete frame design manual ACI 318-08. In beam design section, it gives two formulae which I am unable to find in books. One formula for stress block depth and one formula for negative steel calculation. I have highlighted the formulae in below images. The manual design using these formulae and conventional formulae gives the same result. But kindly guide me from where I can get derivation of these formulae or theory behind this.  

Beam image 1.png

beam image 2.png

Waqas, just reverse calculate;

In books you will find for singly reinforced;

a = Asfy/0.85f'cb

and Phi Mn = 0.9Asfy(d-a/2)

re-arrange, and you will find your answer.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By waqar saleem
      Dear fellows!
      I have observed that some senior engineers have not been using stiffness modifiers in their designs. What is the concept behind  i am not clear . As we design RC for strength, section is cracked and to cater for this cracked section, property modifiers are used as per
       ACI 318-11  10.10.4 (stiffness requirement)

ACI 318-11  8.7 (stiffness requirement)

UBC97 1630.1.2 (modelling requirement)
       so why whole section is considered in design. is there any other logic which i couldn't understand.

Regards
    • By Mehdi_
      As you know, we are forced to convert the ETABS results to executive drawings. This is a time consuming job. Is there any software that accept ETABS outputs and generate drawings? Specially for a reinforced concrete structure.

• By Meesum Zaidi
      I m  currently analysing multi story building on Etabs, I need to apply 4 and 6 inch wall load and would like to know how that can be done.
      in this building maine no load bearing 4 inches and 6 inches ki walls use kari hain load assign kaise hoga walls pe ye samajh nhi arha line load apply karun ya area type load please help